Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Hello September



What does September mean to you?  Besides being the month the kids go back to school, September is apple picking time in my neck of the woods.

Remember this log cabin block? 


 
I turned it into an apple block for my new September mini. 



Before cutting out the apple shape, I added fusible web to the back of the block.  I wasn’t sure it would adhere with all the seams, but it worked just fine.  Once the fusible web was attached to the back, I drew the apple shape on the paper backing, and then cut it out.  I also used fusible web for the stem and leaf.   

I used all scraps for this mini, as I usually try to do.  Once in a while, I have something really specific in mind that requires new fabric, but generally, I’m able to use scraps or fabric already in my stash.

After the fabrics were fused to the top, I basted the layers together and then quilted the design.  



I quilted in the ditch in a spiral around the “logs”, and then used a blanket stitch around the outside edges.



I’m really happy with the way this mini turned out!

1 comment: