Tuesday, February 5, 2013

BGBOM Month 2

I have two more blocks completed for the Blogger Girls Block of the Month. 

Step 3 gave me a few headaches.  I wasn’t sure I was drawing the line for sewing in the correct place.  I figured it had to go through the point of the HST block, so I made sure it went through one corner of the rectangle and the point.  Even so, when I square up the blocks after that stop, they were a little shy of 4 ½”. 

That became a problem later on when I went to square up the final block to 12 ½”.  The block needed to be trimmed, leaving me with only about 1/8” seam allowance. 

If I leave the block as is I will end up with some chopped off points.  I’m going to have to take apart that seam, make another 2 ½” block and try to fix it.  I won’t be satisfied with the chopped off points if I don’t try to fix it.
The funny-looking piece left after Step 4 reminded me of the cornette (head piece) Sally Fields wore in the Flying Nun.  Remember that show?

I guess I was starting to get tired by the time I got to the second version of the block because I sewed the 4 ½” squares to the wrong side of the blocks – Oops! 

Luckily I noticed before I trimmed the blocks.  A little “unsewing” and “resewing” later, and they were all fixed.
If you are also participating in the BGBOM, I would like to know how long it takes you to complete one block.  It’s taking me about 1 ½ hours for each one.  I think it’s because I am unfamiliar with the rulers and some of the construction methods.  I have to fiddle around with the pieces and look at the pictures for a while until it becomes clear to me!  I thought the second block would go together a little quicker, but due to errors on my part, it took just as long.  All in all, I really enjoy participating in this BOM.
Here are my blocks after 2 months:

1 comment:

  1. I tried to respond to the comment you left on my blog but don't have your email address.

    I'm sorry you struggled with these Blogger Girl BOM blocks. That step 3 threw me at first too, but my blocks came out spot on. It took me 4 hours to make block one and one hour to make block 4!! Pretty much an entire sewing day for me. Your blocks are lovely, your colors are great, they don't look like you struggled with them at all.