Monday, February 11, 2013

Look at what the mailman brought!

This is the kind of mail we are all excited to receive – new fabric! 

The fat quarter bundle is a Fat Quarter Shop Blogger’s Choice bundle chosen by Sinta Borland of the Pink Pincushion blog.  The charm packs are Meadow by Blackbird Designs for Moda and Paris Flea Market by 3 Sisters for Moda, ordered from The Thrifty Needle.
The charm packs will be used for my next 2 monthly charm pack quilts.  I’ll be making “Cindy Lou Who” from the book Another Bite of Schnibbles by Carrie Nelson with the Paris Flea Market charm packs.  The Meadow charm packs will go into an upsized version of “Lateness is Rudeness” from the book Back to Charm School by Country Threads.
I didn’t have a specific project in mind when I purchased the Sinta’s choice fat quarter bundle, but I knew I wanted the quilt for the full-sized bed in my guest room.  I also knew I wanted the quilt to have stars (I love star quilts).  I looked through some of my magazines and pattern books before settling on an Ohio Star block.
I spent about 7 hours charting and coloring graph paper layouts of the quilts.
First I drafted the Ohio Star quilt. 

I will use 4 of the light prints as the star centers.  The solids will be the next square and the blues will be the star points with white Kona for the background.  The red dot will be sashing squares with Kona Navy sashing strips.  The yellow print and white with red hearts print will be used with scraps left from the blocks for a piano key border.

I also graphed out the color placement for the two charm pack quilts.  I like scrappy quilts but I’m really a “controlled” scrappy quilt kind of girl.  I don’t know if I could ever make a truly “random” scrappy quilt.

For the Cindy Lou Who quilt, I ordered some yardage in a few of the prints for borders and binding.
Locally, I haven’t yet found matching solids for the “Lateness is Rudeness” quilt (I have to find another name for that one).  I won’t be working on that quilt until April, so I still have time.

No comments:

Post a Comment