Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Pumpkin and Candy Corn

I've been working on a new Halloween mini quilt that I designed. I have a 50 mile commute both ways in order to get to work every day. Now that school is back in session and people aren't on vacation, everybody is back to work and there are a lot of cars on the road. Some days it takes me more than an hour to drive those 50 miles. That gives me plenty of time to think about my sewing projects.  This mini quilt was almost totally planned out during my morning commute last week.

Two of the designs I'm using are a pumpkin and some candy corn. I made the candy corn by sewing a strip set with white, yellow and orange fabrics.


Then I  cut the fabric into triangles to represent the candy corn. I have the Tri-Recs ruler set so that's what I used to make my blocks.




 That little notch on the Recs part of the ruler lets you take a little snip off that one edge that makes the side triangle line up perfectly.

The blocks finished up a perfect 4 1/2".



 For the pumpkin block, I used flippy corners. To make these, I cut the "pumpkin" fabric into a rectangle and added 1 3/8" squares to the corners. I marked a diagonal line from corner to corner then sewed a thread or two just outside that line (on the side I was cutting off). 

For the stem, I sewed a little strip set using the background and stem fabrics.

 

The pumpkin block also finished at 4 1/2".  


Hopefully I'll have the rest of the mini quilt finished to show you next week.


 


 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment