Thursday, July 4, 2013

Independence Day Firecrackers or… Sleeping Bags??

Happy 4th of July!  Last weekend I was putting the finishing touches on my new July mini quilt while I waited for all the guests to arrive at a party at my niece’s house.  My sister, Kelly, was there so I showed the mini quilt to her.  She asked if they were supposed to be firecrackers then said she thought at first they were sleeping bags!!!

Either way, firecrackers or sleeping bags, they both say summer fun to me!  I used some grey thread and a zig zag stitch to represent the burning fuses on the firecrackers and used fusible appliqué and a machine blanket stitch to attach the firecrackers.  I hand quilted some stars in the background and used some red and white gingham for the bias binding.  This one will go to work to hang on my office wall.
My other July mini quilt is this flag quilt. 

The star is from a paper-pieced pattern a friend gave me years ago. 

I completed the top about 10 years ago but only got around to quilting and finishing this mini quilt about two years ago.  I used a wavy stitch in the stripes to represent the flag waving in the wind.

I hope your 4th of July involves time with family and friends, enjoying a picnic and some fireworks, and celebrating America the Beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment