So, with no pattern, just pictures of her finished quilt, I set out to make my version. Jacquie’s Night Forest quilt is strip-pieced “birch tree” trunks on a black background. I gathered some neutral fabrics, some black fabrics, a “birch bark” fabric and one blue-grey fabric and pieced strips, then cut the strips to 24” long and between 1 ½ and 3 inches wide. I laid out the strips on my cutting table in more or less the same way as Jacquie’s design.
When it came time to piece the strips with the black background, I had some trouble because I was trying to piece them at angles to look like multi-trunk trees. It took some trial and error, but eventually I was happy with the way it fit together.
I quilted lines ½ inch apart only on the black background to make the trunks really stand out. When it was all finished and bound, I added a label giving credit to Jacquie for the inspiration and noting that she gave me permission to duplicate her quilt, and then I sent her another email with some pictures of the finished product.
Jacquie's version finished at 19" X 41". Mine finishes at 21" by 54".
I was really late to the party when it comes to reading blogs but I’m so glad I finally did. All that internet inspiration helped me to find exactly the right project for our bedroom wall.