Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Halloween Quilts

Happy October!

I love October. Three of my five siblings were born this month. I love the crisp autumn air and the changing leaves. I love pumpkins, apples, visits to the farm stand, apple picking, and hay rides, but I don't love Halloween. I'm not a huge fan of costumes, anything scary, or themed decorations. I tend to decorate in the colors of the season and in ways that represent nature - seasonal flowers, leaves, etc.

The scrappy autumn runner I hope to show you later this week is definitely my "style", as are two fall quilts from the past couple years:


Pumpkins - a mini quilt that measures 14 x 14. I used fusible web and hand embroidery to appliqué the pumpkins and leaves and a decorative leaf stitch on my sewing machine in the border. I love this mini quilt. 


Then there is this log cabin variation I made last year in orange and black fabrics. This one measures 12 x 18. The black and orange binding was my first attempt at bias binding and it worked out pretty well.

Both of those quilts are the style I'm comfortable with. So this year's mini quilt was a little bit outside my comfort zone, but I really wanted to make a quilt with candy corn and that idea turned into this:


Super bright colors, ghosts, a spider and spider web! I asked my husband which mini he wanted to hang at our house and he chose the traditional pumpkins, so the bright candy corn quilt is going to work to hang in my office.  Even though it's not really my style, I enjoyed making it and I know the girls at work will enjoy seeing it all month. 






No comments:

Post a Comment