Tuesday, November 5, 2013

The One Piece Bag

I downloaded the November Schnibbles pattern, Morning Joe, and I chose my charm packs - this time I'll be using two different Minick and Simpson lines: Indigo Crossing and Midwinter Reds.  But I wanted some non-white background fabric, so I'll have to wait until my Fat Quarter Shop order arrives before I can start.

Instead, I got busy on a making a bag I've wanted to make since I first saw the pattern: The One Piece Bag, by Fig Tree.  I bought the pattern back in May and the fabric and supplies in early August, but I had to wait until now for some extra free time.







I used two fabrics from Happy Go Lucky by Bonnie and Camille.

I made only one modification - I added a lined divided slip pocket to the lining. I need a spot for my cell phone and keys so I'm not fishing all over the bag to find them.



This pattern was definitely straight forward, but you aren't spoon-fed the directions. When it says you need a 5" strip, that means you need a 5" by WOF (width of fabric) strip.

This bag is large - 14" tall by 17" wide. I had originally planned to use it as a purse, but it's bigger than I would normally use. I just found out last week that I'm going to have to split my work week between two different offices.  I'll be at my primary office Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, and the alternate location on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  So this bag is the perfect size for carting files and notes back and forth between the two locations.





As for how long the bag took to make, I cut out the fabric and ironed the fusible fleece in the morning - maybe an hour and a half total.  I spent 4 hours sewing it together. The thing that gave me the most trouble? It was the bag feet. I had never used them before and really struggled with the first one, but once I figured out to "carefully" use the tip of my scissors to make the holes, it went much easier.

I can see myself making this bag again at some point. It would make a great carry-on bag for the plane or a nice gym bag (I have two big towels in there for the picture below).




If you're interested in making The One Piece Bag, you can buy the pattern here.

No comments:

Post a Comment