Thursday, January 16, 2014

More Distractions







I told you about being distracted by cutting, basting, and piecing hexies. One reason I decided to do some handwork is that I've been so exhausted that I just need something easy and mellow to work on.

Why? My office is relocating to another building ten miles from our current location.  If you think packing and moving a house is a lot of work, try packing and moving an office of 19 employees and all their accumulated work papers, desks, equipment, appliances, etc. Holy moly.





I work for a very large agency with about 3,000 employees total. We have a whole bureau devoted to support - like performing the actual move - lifting the boxes, shrink wrapping the chairs, loading them on trucks, etc. we also have groups responsible for packing and moving and setting up the computers and another group who will set up all the phones. But someone has to coordinate all of these groups, and that someone is me, since I'm the manager of the unit that's moving.

We were given only one week's notice! Since then it has been non-stop phone calls and emails seeing to all the details. From talking to the mailroom to work out a new mail pickup and drop off location, to coordinating with two different bank couriers, to arranging for garbage gondolas, and working with IT staff to move a tiny label printer (one of the biggest headaches!).

I told all my folks to dust and clean their former workstations and to take everything out of the drawers and cubbies. If they don't need or want that stuff, chances are the next occupant wont need or want it either. I guess everyone doesn't feel the same way, because  I stopped in tonight before tomorrow's move only to find they hadn't cleaned up the desks were moving into, so I spent 90 minutes dusting and cleaning all the new desks.   Then I left everyone a welcome note and a few treats.

All the while this craziness is going on, the actual work doesn't stop - I'm trying to juggle so much. I'm coming home and just staring into space every night.

I have fantastic employees and they've all pitched in to do their part - boxing up and labeling 30 file cabinets, signing up to direct the movers tomorrow, unpack and refill the supply cabinet, setting up some breakfast treats I bought for tomorrow morning and just staying positive.  I'm so lucky to have this group of people to work with.  I'll be back later in the week to let you know how the move went.

No comments:

Post a Comment