Friday, August 22, 2014

Baby Quilt Progress



I’m happy to report that there has been some progress on the baby quilt I’m making for my great nephew-to-be!

Before

After
 
While the "after" picture doesn’t look that much different than the "before" one, the quilt went from 63 individual blocks to one completed top.  It’s amazing what you can accomplish if you just sit down at the sewing machine!

Next, I’ll be moving on to basting and quilting.  I’m going to try using boards to help me baste since getting down on the floor is out of the question.  I’d seen Sharon Schambert’s video using this method, but she bastes with needle and thread.  I usually use basting pins.  I found this post about using the boards and pins and I hope it will work for me.  Both indicate to starch the backing.  I’m using flannel as a backing and I don’t know how the starch will work with that.  Does anyone know whether flannel takes starch well?

I’m going to send the hubs to Home Depot for some boards (we just recently got rid of all our left over lumber since we are “done” doing any more home construction projects for a while).  I’ll let you know if this method works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment