Friday, January 11, 2013

Blogger Girls BOM - Block 1

As soon as I had the fabrics cut out for Version 2 of Block 1, I know I had to do something different for one of the reds.  All of the red fabrics in the Trail's End line are the same value, but there are light and dark greens.  In her Version 2, Monique has 2 reds next to each other, but one of the reds she used has a lot of white in it so the reds don't blend into one another.  My reds just melted together.  I auditioned the greens I purchased but none of them looked right in place of one of the reds.  I looked at Thelma's blocks and really liked the yellow chevrons, so I felt like I should use a gold fabric for the chevrons.  I zipped up to Patti's Quilting and Fabrics and went straight to the Trail's End bolts, but there was no gold in the line.  The new owner, Jessica, remembered me from when I purchased my fabric and she pointed out that the shop also carries other Marbles by Holly Taylor and suggested maybe one of those would work.  She was right - there was a gold that was perfect.  The best part is that the gold also maintains that Christmas feel.  Trail's End isn't a Christmas line, but the lodge feel of the fabrics along with the colors I'm using should make it feel like a Christmas quilt.




Each block took me about 1 1/2 hours to piece and they came out to perfect 12 1/2" squares!  I'm very happy with the final results and can't wait for next month's installment!

No comments:

Post a Comment