Saturday, January 19, 2013

Holiday Mini Quilts

About 13 years ago, I went through a short bout of renewed interest in quilting because some of my coworkers were quilting.  One friend, Mary Jo, really like paper piecing and she gave me a pattern for a paper pieced star.  I made the star block then used that for the star section of a mini flag quilt top but never got around to quilting it. 


 
2 years ago I bought backing and border fabric and finally got it done. 




That sparked my desire to make a new mini quilt for every holiday/month.  I moved into a new office at work a few months ago, so now my new goal is to have 2 mini quilts for each holiday/month (one for home, one for the office).  Most of those I’ve made so far are my own design.

I only have one mini quilt for January so far – Mittens.  I used fusible web to fuse the mittens and cuff to the background fabric then used a running stitch and embroidery floss to embroider the string between the mittens (so they don’t get lost).

I embellished the mini quilt with three plastic snowflakes then machine appliquéd the mittens and cuffs using a blanket stitch.  Finally I did a kind of meandering quilting in the background.

Each mini quilt is no wider than 14", so they are centered on one angled wall in my living room. 

No comments:

Post a Comment