Thursday, January 17, 2013

Kelly's Bottled Rainbows



When I really got back into quilting, about two years ago, one of the first projects I wanted to make was a Bottled Rainbows quilt.  The colors Rachel used were so bright and happy and modern.  I started out in February 2011¸on track with the other participants.  The sew along was supposed to take 16 weeks and mine took 15 months!



I bought fabric and made all the base blocks, sorted my scraps and found out I needed to buy a lot of “scraps” to get fabrics in the right colors.  So instead of busting my stash, I was building my stash.  I made a block a week for the first few weeks and then…other projects called my name, a baby quilt for my friend’s new granddaughter, a purse for me, wallets for my niece and mom – you get the picture.

At one point, I thought I’d break the blocks up into a baby boy quilt using the blue, green and yellow blocks, and a baby girl block using the purple, pink and red blocks.  Then I realized it would make a nice quilt for my sister, Kelly.  I worked hard to get it done for her birthday in April 2012, but didn’t end up finishing it until May.  She loves it so I’m happy I kept at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment