Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Happy New Year!  Welcome to Adirondack Urban - a blog about quilting, sewing, and life in the foothills of the Adirondack Mountains.



My first introduction to quilting came in 1976 when I was in 6th grade.  My elementary school made a quilt to celebrate the nation's Bicentennial.  I designed and appliquéd a square for the quilt depicting a cannon and a pyramid of cannon balls.  Some of us also participated in the actual quilting process.  We would meet after school on the school's stage and hand quilted around a wooden frame.

My real interest in quilting came about 25 years ago when I used to watch Quilt in a Day on public television.  I made a red, white, and blue quilt for my husband.  We used it on our bed for years, but eventually the white fabric started to disintegrate.  I found the quilt again last year in a plastic tote where I had stored it away for posterity.  Since so much of the fabric was gone, I decided not o keep it anymore and threw it out.  I wish I had at least taken a picture of what was left!

I quilted pretty steadily until 1996 when my sewing area moved to our unfinished basement.  Idid very little quilting when my boys were in high school and busy with sports.  I really only got back into quilting two years ago when I finally had a dedicated sewing room and a new sewing machine.  My sewing room is still in the basement but now it's all finished and has a door I can shut when it's messy.  Since January, 2011, I've spent at least part of most weekends and other days whenever possible.  When I'm not working or sewing, I'm reading quilting magazines, books, and blogs and thinking about quilting.

With the start of a new year, I like to make a list of what I'd like to accomplish.  So here,s my list in no particular order:


  • Quilt and bind Pam's "Welcome to the Neighborhood" quilt
  • Finish quilting the Underground Railroad quilt
  • Finish quilting the bird quilt class project from my December, 2011, machine quilting class
  • Finish Anne's Log Cabin quilt
  • Some type of quilt for my brother Noah
  • Do small quilt each month using charm squares
  • Participate in the Blogger Girl's Block of the Month hosted by Monique Dillard of Open Gate Quilts
  • Work on more holiday mini quilts


It's a pretty ambitious list, but I think it's doable, especially if I work on a big project for a few hours then spend an hour on one of the smaller projects.  I'm excited to start this blogging journey as a way to chronicle my quilting projects.





No comments:

Post a Comment