Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Welcome to the Neighborhood!

My good friend, Pam, bought her first home just before Christmas 2012.  To celebrate this terrific accomplishment, I made her a wall hanging as a house warming gift.
Welcome to the Neighborhood is my first finish of 2013 and satisfies my goal of making a charm square quilt each month.  I used the Neighborhood Charm Quilt free pattern available in the Moda Bake Shop.  The quilt was designed by Debbie Grifka of Esch House Quilts.  When I first saw the pattern on the Moda Website, Pam was just starting her house hunt and I knew I would make this quilt for her when she finally bought a house.

My version is a bit smaller than Debbie’s.  I used 26 charm squares from a charm pack of Double Chocolat by 3 Sisters for Moda.  I still have another charm pack left over (I buy two at a time since most of the Schnibbles patterns call for two charm packs).  The “house” blocks are super easy to put together.

Since I didn’t have any Double Chocolat yardage, I went in search of something similar at my LQS and ended up using the Frost Ornamental Poinsettia fabric from the Sentiments line (also by 3 Sisters).  The color perfectly matches the Frost Truffles fabric in the Double Chocolat line.


I quilted a roof and door on each “house” and diagonal lines in the plain blocks. 


Welcome to the Neighborhood finished at 30 ½ by 37 ¾ and has 97 pieces.  It took me 4 weeks to complete.

Pam, I hope you enjoy your house warming gift and that you have many happy, healthy years in your new home!

No comments:

Post a Comment