Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Celtic Solstice Mystery Quilt - Part 3

I turned the big 5-0 last week and received my AARP card in the mail so I guess that means I'm officially OLD!! Ha Ha!

Hubby and I both took a few days off to spend time with Jason, our youngest, who was home for the weekend to celebrate Christmas with us because he has to work on Christmas Day. Jay also had an amateur boxing match on Monday night, so we went to see the fight.  It's so hard for me, as a Mom, to watch my son get hit. I always say a little prayer that neither fighter gets hurt.  Thankfully, no one was injured and Jason won by TKO (technical knock out) in the third round.

We actually got a bonus day with Jay because the boxing match he was supposed to have in Syracuse on Saturday was canceled due to the weather, so he came home early on Friday.

Knowing he was driving home on Friday night, I got busy cutting fabric for the third clue in Celtic Solstice mystery quilt. I didn't use the new Easy Angle ruler I bought, but made my HST using the eight-at-a-time method.  So I cut 5" squares of orange and yellow, got them all sewn, cut apart, and pressed while I waited for Jay to get in.

On Saturday morning, I trimmed all those HST down to exactly 2", then sewed 13 pinwheel blocks. This is where making the "mini" version of half the blocks required for Bonnie's "small" version might get tricky. The small version required 200 HST, of which 100 were used to make 25 pinwheel blocks. Since you can't very well make twelve and a half blocks, I figured I'd better make 13 and hope that it will work for the mini.





I was grateful for the simple sewing this time around and had no trouble finishing this clue!

How are you coming along with the mystery quilt clues?  Check out Bonnie's blog to see how the other mystery quilters are progressing.  I am impressed by all the alternate fabric selections - many are really beautiful.  I also enjoyed seeing some quilters guesses as to final block layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment