Sunday, March 31, 2013

Happy Easter!

Although this year's Easter mini quilt isn't finished, I do have one that I made in 2011 to show you.

This is my favorite mini quilt I've made so far.  I knew I wanted to represent an Easter basket with a chocolate Easter bunny.

I had a lot of ideas on how to make the basket.  One thought was to weave some twill tape or bias tape for the basket, but then I found this great basket weave fabric:

I also wanted realistic looking Easter grass and I found this fun fur trim in the scrapbook section at AC Moore:

The pink plaid border ties all the colors together. 


Believe it or not, that fabric was $2 a yard from WalMart!  I've used that pretty fabric in several projects and still have some left.

The design is fusible machine appliqued and hand embroidered. 


Each of the design elements is fully backed with fusible web and each of the eggs is a full egg shape.  So that means there are places that are two or three layers thick with fabric and fusible web and it is not easy to hand embroider through multiple layers of fusible web-backed fabric.

For subsequent quilts, I learned to eliminate the parts fo the shapes that don't show on the fornt and to "window" the fusible web (cutting out the middle of t the fusible before fusing to the fabric - saves fusible and makes the quilt softer).

If you celebrate Easter, I hope you have a wonderful holiday with your families.

1 comment: