Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Making Adjustments...

I had a very busy week at work and needed to just wind down and vegetate in the evenings, so I didn’t even get any further with hand stitching the binding to the back of the Underground Railroad quilt.  I’m behind schedule.  I did not “finish” a charm pack quilt in February.  Originally I planned to make “Cindy Lou Who” for my March charm pack quilt, but I’ve changed my mind.

Since I still need to finish the February projects and make the Blogger Girl BOM blocks for March, I think I will pull out the turquoise and orange mystery quilt wall hanging I started last spring.  It’s not a charm pack quilt, but it is a small quilt and it is on my list of UFO’s to finish this year.  The pattern for this quilt came in the Jan/Feb, Mar/April, and May/ June 2012 issues of McCalls Quilting magazine.  I’m converting the pattern piece sizes to fit the amount of fabric I have, using fat quarters instead of yardage.  I believe the finished quilt should be 72 x 72 based on the pattern and I think mine will finish at around 24 x 24.

I’ve never attempted to re-size a block before, and I’m not to the point of putting my blocks together for this mini version, but I’ll let you know if my math works out.  I plan to hang this on the wall in our guest bath.  Is that a funny place to hang a quilt?  I have a framed piece of hardanger embroidery in my master bathroom, so it seems like a natural place to hang “artwork” to me.




I finished cutting out the rest of the fabric for the mini mystery quilt.  I had to cut into a second fat quarter of white tone on tone to have enough for the pieces I needed. I'm using the second white on different pieces so it shouldn't look bad.  I think if I had all the cutting instructions the first month I might have been able to use just one fat quarter of white.

When I took the project out of my UFO bin I realized I had completed 2/3 of the project already so there's no reason why I shouldn't be able to get this one finished this month.  I should have time left over to work on another UFO project or start cutting next month's charm square quilt fabrics.

No comments:

Post a Comment