Friday, March 1, 2013

March Mini Quilts

I had a hard time deciding whether to use my usual March mini quilt or an Easter mini quilt.  In the end I decided to put up the March ones through Saint Patrick’s Day and then switch over to the Easter quilts.
Both of the March quilts were started in 2011.  “Daffodils” was fusible machine appliquéd.  I started with a single daffodil quilting motif from a free DVD that came with a Quiltmaker magazine.  I traced the design 4 times around the center of the block and reimagined the quilting motif as an appliqué design.

I don’t normally sew with batiks much but the variations in color make for realistic floral appliqué.  I traced the quilting design on template plastic then onto the paper side of the fusible which was already applied to the wrong side of the fabric.  After cutting the shapes out and fusing them onto the background fabric, I machine stitched them in place and added some hand embroidery to the flowers.  I’ve used this cheerful mini quilt for the last two years during March.
Also in 2011, I found the “She Sows Shamrocks” embroidery design offered as a free pattern on the So September blog.  The completed stitchery has been hanging above my sewing table waiting to be finished ever since.  I knew I wanted to finish this embroidery as a mini quilt in the same style as this inspiration piece I saw on the Comfort Stitching blog.  Over the President’s Day weekend, I looked in my scrap baskets and pulled out some greens and yellows that I cut into 2 ½” squares that I made into half square triangle squares that finished at 1 ½” after trimming and sewing. 


I added a one inch white tone-on-tone border to bring the mini quilt up to 14” square.  Isn’t she sweet?

No comments:

Post a Comment