Thursday, March 7, 2013

Hot Cross - Nearing the finish line!


I'm nearing the finish line on the Hot Cross Schnibbles quilt.  I finished piecing the remaining cross blocks then rejected the first inner border fabric I chose.  The pattern calls for a quarter yard but doesn't specify fat quarter or regular quarter yard.  I had a fat quarter picked out.  It didn't occur to me that I would need a regular quarter yard and I made the error of not reading the pattern all the way through.  As soon as I saw that length of the inner border strips I knew a fat quarter wouldn't work.  Since most of my stash is fat quarters, I didn't have many choices for a substitute.

The second fabric I chose had some red and brown on cream and I cut the strips and sewed one side on before deciding it was too busy.  The third fabric did the trick.



I assembled all the strip sets for the outer border and made the four hourglass blocks for the corners.  The instructions indicated to cut a total of 100 strips for the borders so i sewed them in sets of 25 strips each.  When I attached them they were each one strip too long!  I left the mess on the design wall overnight and decided to reassess the situation in the morning.  Of course I decided to take the borders apart, remove a strip from each one then reattach them.  After doing that, I noticed that a blue birder strip was lined up with a blue cornerstone from the inner border, so I unsewed some more and replaced the blue strip with a brown strip.






Happy with the results at that point, I marked the top for quilting.  Then It took me about 3 1/2 hours to quilt and another hour to make the binding and sew it to the front.


I also ordered the Thelma Childer's Blogger's Choice fat quarter bundle from the Fat Quarter Shop.  I don't have anything specific in mind for these fabrics yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment