Friday, April 5, 2013

Appliqué using starch and April Goals

After spending a lot of the last week reviewing You Tube videos and trolling through Appliquéd blogs, I felt ready to try the template/starch method of prepping my appliqué pieces.  With Templar and Magic Sizing in hand, I traced and cut out the appliqué motifs and gave it the old college try.  I would not say I ended up with any “Perfect Circles” and my flowers don’t look anything like any you can find on Erin Russek's blog, One Piece at a Time. 

I did not pre-wash my fabric, since I was using bits and pieces left over from other projects.  I wonder if that was the problem.   In my week of research, I did see that the fabric should be pre-washed.  At this point, I will just try to make the best of it and needleturn any stray bits that didn’t get pressed into place.  Next time, I will pre-wash the fabric.
It’s going to be a busy month, but I still want to try and meet my monthly goals:
  • Finish the Ohio Star blocks
  • Blogger Girl’s Block-of-the-Month Blocks
  • April charm square quilt (Meadow Lark)
 If I have any time left over, I will try to:
  • Make some of the sashing units for the BGBOM
  • Cut the sashing strips and blocks for the Ohio Star quilt
  • Work on Anne’s Log Cabin blocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment